Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Finding time to write

Friends that recently found out about A MONTH FULL OF SUNDAYS always ask this question first: When do you find time to write? Out of a 24 hour day, I probably sleep 7 hours, and that's on a good day. I want more sleep, but so does every mother in the world. For work, I average 6 1/2 to 7 hours a day including paperwork at home, patient care, drive time, and office activities. That's 14 hours right there that cannot be altered during the week.
Kids take up minimum 5 hours from 3 pm until the first bed time warning at 8 pm. In this time, it's dog chasing, movie re-enactments (my favorite is The Mask as my son tries to dip his older sister per the dance scene between Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz), 2nd grade homework, Pre-K "homework", dinner, baths/showers, and one TV show. Whew! I am tired just typing that.
From 8 to 10:30 is my time to either write, watch TV while folding an endless amount of clothes that hardly ever find their way to the appropriate drawers, and husband time. On Saturday, you would think it would be easier to find time to write but between our standard ChickFilA breakfast date, house cleaning, laundry, and in-law dinners, I am scheduled pretty tight.
What about Sunday? Well, if we are being good, church takes up our morning from 8:30 to 11:30. Lunch at a local cafeteria, Cowboy football, refereeing the kids outside, laundry, and finally, my time to write uninterrupted for an hour or two before starting on dinner, baths, bedtime and ending with me falling into bed with earplugs and a Tylenol PM.
Does that answer the question?
Tish
PS It took me two years to complete A MONTH FULL OF SUNDAYS and begin five other novels. The laptop helps but so does long trips to Oklahoma for longhand writing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home