Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Saturday, October 30, 2004

And the winner is....

Selling 150 dollars worth of fund raising cookie dough, pies, and pretzels earned my daughter a moment in the spotlight.

Wearing her Halloween "Belle" dress, she stood with four other 2nd graders awaiting the results of top seller...third place went to two of her friends tied at 8 items sold, and my girl just stood there without a clue that she had a chance at first place.

Then, when the second place winner was announced. Again, no reaction from my princess.
When her name was announced as the winner of not only a $25 gift certificate but a Limo ride to lunch at Outback Steakhouse.

What? A limo ride for a seven year old? I was 23 before I ever stepped foot into a Limo and that was only because there was no one to give a trophy at a stock car race so I was volunteered.

At first, her face froze with confusion and then the realization hit her - a smile larger than life lit up her beautiful face and she held the gift certificate up like her own Oscar. I imagined her thanking her parents for this opportunity, the customers that made it possible, and her screaming 2nd grade fans for their support.

She rushed up to us, and in her excitement, uttered these words: "I want Grandma to go with me!"

Wait a minute - didn't I suffer through 17 hours of labor with her? Have parts of my anatomy sutured that I'd rather not name? Fighting back tears, I smiled at her and congratulated her on the prizes.

I guess I can't be too upset about her choice since her grandparents did purchase over 50% of her total sales but there's a small part of me, the part that wants to be #1 in her life, that wanted that spot next to her in the limo. Too bad I don't know any stock car owners here.

2 Comments:

  • So when do I get to read any of these books you've written? You'll have to bring me a sampling by on your next journey to Olive Street. By the way...I have bought out Wal-Mart of all their Halloween candy - so I suggest you bring your goblins by tomorrow night if you go trick-or-treating. Good luck and Happy Halloween!
    Julie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

  • Aww! This brought tears to my eyes - more than once! I was so excited for your daughter, so enveloped in your daydream of her thanking everyone, then heart-broken when she wanted Grandma to go instead!

    My mom kept a magnet on her fridge that read, "Avenge yourself: Live long enough to be a burden to your children."

    Just think - some day (far, far, far away in the distant future), you'll be grandma and can relish in the delights! *LOL*

    By Blogger Wendi Friend, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home