Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Friday, October 15, 2004

My future in writing

A friend asked me not to put her in any of my novels, which I will honor. But I would think to be immortalized in print, to be the model for a character in a novel would be flattering. Maybe she will change her mind but until then, these ever changing stories in my mind will keep churning, waiting for release. Most of my stories are based on people I know, situations we are all faced with, or about the 'what if's' in life.

What if you had to move to a small town in Arkansas? What if you worked in a nursing home? What if your father-in-law committed suicide the same day you conceived your first child? What if you had to confront your spouse's past in-laws on an daily basis?
These are some of the story lines I work on after the kids are in bed and the hubby is asleep.

A MONTH FULL OF SUNDAYS is about a rich young woman coming to terms with the loss of her mother and grandmother while living in her grandmother's home in Rocky Comfort, Arkansas. Her journey is filled with strong, Southern characters as well as emotional and spiritual discoveries ultimately changing her life and those around her.

ROCKS OF AGES details nursing home life from an insider's point of view. While antiques and plush carpet may dazzle a visitor, what really goes on day to day will shock, amuse, and touch the heart of those that read this story. The lead character, Evalina Jones, is an African American amputee wanting to walk again to reunite with her family. Her bond with the physical therapist is explored along with the other residents' stories of triumph and sorrow. In the end, the reader learns more about the elderly and nursing homes than what they thought was originally the case.

MENDING PICKET FENCES, is every second wife's nightmare. Riley, an experienced physical therapist, faces her husband's ex-family as the father suffers a massive stroke requiring intensive in-patient therapy. Unresolved issues between her husband, the ex-wife, and Riley surface throughout the patient's stay in the hospital. Besides being a realistic portrayal of a second marriage, this story educates the reader about stroke patients and in-patient rehabiliation centers.

A FATHER'S SINS is the most difficult story for me to write. An estranged father's suicide is explored from two points of view: the grieving son and the father, waiting in Purgatory. Marty watches his son wrestle with the memories of what could have been and what will be as an unexpected pregnancy is announced. His redemption is found in meeting his unborn grandchild, admitting his faults as a father, and ultimately, granting his son freedom from the guilt those left behind from a suicide have.

There are a few others I could outline, but I am still coming up with titles. Title are important to me because they set the tone of the story for me. A MONTH FULL OF SUNDAYS is an old saying in the South, but when it hit me, I couldn't stop writing. ROCKS OF AGES was easy - the real life Evalina sang Rocks of Ages mixed with Amazing Grace that to this day brings tears to my eyes. A FATHER'S SINS is just a working title since the subject matter is so close to my heart.

So there it is - a compilation of what is to come. When the publishers bite, and I am confident they will, you can say you were in the know first. That's a pretty cool thing to say at the office, too.

4 Comments:

  • What a wonderfully charming style of writing you have!

    I had a great time reading through your blog (especially the part about your dog.. Terrific descriptions!). I am also very interested in your "Rock of Ages" novel in particular. I am looking forward to reading it. I will keep your blog bookmarked and will check for your announcement of publication.

    Best of luck with all of your writing, and I am certain you will be published very soon. Then I will get to say I knew you when. =)

    God bless.

    By Blogger Kitchen Network, at 1:22 PM  

  • I am your newest & biggest fan. I can't wait to see your stories published, as I am confident they will be. Keep up the good work.
    (Go ahead & include me in your stories if you like. I would be interested to hear your take on our adventures so many years ago. If memory serves me correctly, we were quite entertaining.)

    Signed, your not so anonymous fan.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 AM  

  • Wow! If I were a friend of yours I would love to see myself in print. From reading what I have read so far, you would make me seem much more amusing and interesting than most of us think we really are!!

    Your writing is like a flattery mirror with a peppering of mirth...and you can quote me on that!

    A PT in Washington State

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

  • Wow! You have great storylines and phenomenal structure! There's no doubt we'll be plucking your books from top of the line bookstores in no time! Keep the creativity flowing, and as I always like to encourage, "Believe good things; what you believe becomes."

    By Blogger Wendi Friend, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home