Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Weekend guests and fishing

For the past 78 hours, we have had my parents, my sister, her husband, and their six month old baby as guests. Nothing like hearing a baby cry at four in the morning to make you appreciate your husband's vasectomy. Don't get me wrong, I love my nephew, but the thought of going through all of the baby nights again doesn't thrill me like it once did.
When the men took the kids fishing all day Saturday, the women went shopping. I don't remember shopping with my mother as a child but then again, I don't remember shopping as a fun activity. Since I was a tomboy, trying on clothes and shoes ranked right up there with ballet classes and tea parties: YUCK! My daughter, the antithesis of me in this arena, would go to our local mall with a 104 degree fever, weeping wounds and two broken arms if it meant new clothes.
All in all, the visit went well. After spending eight hours fishing, the men somehow allowed the netted catfish an escape route which they took, leaving them with stories of what swam away. At first I thought it was all a lie, but my son, who cannot lie without smiling, confirmed their claims of catching a lot of fish before 'someone left the net opened up'. According to my dad, it was his son in laws' faults; according to our husbands, it was my children's faults. According to the kids, it was "Pa" who left the net open. Out of the mouthes of babes, huh?

1 Comments:

  • How to know a lie when you see one: look at the children! *LOL* - My daughter has this funky habit of sticking her tongue in her cheek every time she lies. Even though I've pointed this out to her, she can't stop the involuntary facial tweeking process when telling a lie!

    My son, on the other hand, is incredibly creative and will come up with such over-embellished stories that you KNOW it can't be truth!

    My ex husband had a rule that the kids weren't allowed to eat anything while they were outside playing, unless he gave it to them himself. One day, he goes out to call the kids in and my son has this bright red ring all the way around his mouth, much like a clown's painted smile. After directly lying about the issue three or four times in a row and not having the lie swallowed by my husband, my son is "marched" upstairs to see his face in the mirror. Husband asks, "Now do you want to tell me the truth?"

    Son replies, "Oh, the truth! Well, I was playing outside, riding my bike, minding my own business, when Chris suddenly throws a popcicle at me - and it hit me right in the mouth!"

    By Blogger Wendi Friend, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home