Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Saturday, November 20, 2004

I don't need cable - I have children

Drama everyday, that's what life is for me. My seven year old daughter cranks up the tears to lure her brother upstairs to play with her. Let me rephrase that: follow her every command.

Now she sits, red rimmed eyes staring at me, waiting for attention she doesn't deserve. And what is my son doing, you wonder? He watches 'Liar Liar' in complete oblivion to his sister's angst. I'm not going to force him to play with her. Sad as it sounds, I am enjoying the manipulative game being played before me.

Since I had a little sister growing up, I can totally understand and almost respect the control of a sibling. It takes patience and discipline I liken to marriage. My son has learned what the consequences are if he bucks his sister's system, and my husband tries to thwart my authority in much the same manner.

The problem I have is that a 35 year old's tears don't have quite the same effect of a seven year old's. And my husband isn't near as docile as a four year old.

3 Comments:

  • Curious. Is this the same daughter who claimed, "You don't understand!" when she was reprimanded at school for not wanting to play with another girl? It would seem you could flip that reality on her to make your point. If she didn't want to be forced to play with someone, then her brother shouldn't be forced to play with her. Then you could say, "See, I do understand - more than you think!"

    Interesting, the reflections we see in our children.

    By Blogger Wendi Friend, at 1:49 PM  

  • My littlest (she's a year old) does that with her older brother. Any time she cries, even fake cries it makes him jump. So funny to watch but I do remember being the oldest and no one ever cared much if we cried, it was the younger one we bent over for. ;)

    By Blogger Eliza, at 6:59 AM  

  • In my house, the girls have us guys outnumbered three to five.

    By Blogger Phil, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home