Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Christmas Card frenzy

It started innocently, I think. I wanted to send a special picture of my daughter, that's it. Then it grew into a better picture with a cute letter. If only I had stopped there.
The response from the imitation newspaper clipping was complimentary. And like a child sensing you have candy, I wanted more.
The third card had a better letter and photograph rivalling Ansel Adams for black and white artistry. Would that satisfy me? The recipients loved it, raved about the card for the next six months at every family gathering.

By the fourth card and second child, I had invested in a scanner, decent printer, and Microsoft Picture It! (a fabulous program that isn't done justice by its newer version Digital Pro or something)

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

I was in digital bliss...scanning the best pics from the entire year, minute cropping with star shapes or detailed edging, and then the ultimate parody of "Family Circle" was born with my children on the cover and our entire year collaged for all to see. I even added a fake editor's letter on the back with tidbits of information about our family's comings and goings. Oh yeah, I was the BOMB, baby, at every family event for the entire year.

"Great card! I don't know how you come up with these ideas." But then the gauntlet was thrown.

"What are you gonna do for next year?"

Huh? While their curiosity was only meant as a compliment to my creative genius, I took it as a challenge. Could I top last year's card? Was I a one card wonder? Not no, but hell no.

The fifth card made light of the recent Survivor popularity. From October to December, I spent two hours a night perfecting this beauty until the cover could be mistaken for the actual Survivor logo. What once were compliments became glowing reviews and new requests to be on the mailing list.

So the monkey on my back grew.

The sixth card, a parody on the Game of Life, crashed one printer and sent me to Office Depot for a new one in the dead of night. "You don't understand," I informed the teenage manager in training. "I have to have this model tonight." I almost grabbed his shirt. "I have 120 cards to print by Sunday or there will be some very unhappy people." My growls worked to a point. Sadly, only half of the cards went out that year. Those that didn't receive their cards called, emailed, and complained. Furtive looks over the family reunion tables flashed in my direction and as much as I wanted to scream ITS JUST A CARD, I knew better.

This year, I have stocked up on ink, paper, and envelopes. Maybe it's from working on my novel and revisions, but for the life of me, I couldn't come up with an idea. My husband, who usually stays out of the card process until I begin to sob at the computer desk, came up with this year's idea. And it's pretty good. For an amateur.

I think I need help. Maybe I can get a BETTER PRINTER, DIGITAL CAMERA, OH YEAH, AND THEN I CAN GO FOR THE 11X17 POSTER VERSION OF A CARD.....
excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home