Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Embaressing moment #238

Here's a little helpful hint from Helouise you won't read in the newspaper -
Never take your children to the bathroom in Dillard's department store. I'd say at the age of 18 would be permittable, if you aren't paying and they are fully clothed.
It never fails to amaze me what my children do, say, think and create. Like most parents, I pride myself on fostering free thinking. Until yesterday.
Since I understand the fascination of public bathrooms, it's of no surprise that my children will wait until we are away from home to need to go. When I was little, I did the same thing. Back in the mid seventies, my parents took me to a restaurant on Catalina Island that had faucets with the now common sensors that turn them on and off. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Now the toilets at the mall have the same feature which can freak you out if you aren't ready, but that's another story.
My son chose the only stall with a non functional door. Luckily for me there was a chair next to the tampon machine to sit and wait. His normal strains and grunts echo in the tiny bathroom, along with questions about Superman's ability to pee over a building, what is a that machine next to you, and when can he have his 4 year old girlfriend over to play.
All is fine and dandy until a young Black sales associate enters the bathroom and closes the only stall door for her privacy.
"Com'on, boy, you are dawdling." I watch his study the button to flush. "Daddy's waiting on us."
He exits his stall with his pants near his knees.
"Pull up your pants, son. We don't wear droopy drawers."
And without missing a beat he says, "You mean like the black man?"
I felt my face flush. "Well, yeah, but white boys wear them too and you don't want to look like that." Oh God, was that the right thing to say? There was no sound from her stall, but I imagined her scowl and silent condemnation of my little white supremist in training. We made it back to Daddy and sister just in time for the Black sales associate to float by, a smile on her face. I wanted to tell her we aren't raising our kids to see color, that I don't know where he got that idea, and just at that moment, two teenage black adolescents walked by. They had the droopy drawers. And my son just pointed and laughed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home