Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Saturday, December 04, 2004

The house that Icy Hot built

Once in a blue moon, I have a home health patient that requires nose plugs. Some odors are known by mothers with small children: dirty diapers. Others will remind you of a locker room after a long game..and that is where our story begins.

From the outside, the house looked like any other in a rural community: wooden frame, porch swing, air conditioner hanging out of the bedroom window. It's only when the door opened that I knew I was in trouble.

At first, my nose detected an aroma I couldn't quite place, but I tried to ignore it. My patient toodled around her living room with her husband barking orders from a recliner.

"Tell her you cain't balance," he ordered. He cleaned his dentures while I took her vital signs. "You ain't been here before."

"No sir," but I couldn't finish my sentence as my breath was taken away from the woft of Icyhot coming from my patient. Maybe it was my imagination, but I think her entire body was slathered with the stuff. Breathe through your mouth, I told myself, but the smell grew. When I looked at the kitchen table, I noticed an open TUB of IcyHot...and another on the coffee table, the TV, and yes, the stove. Now my eyes were watering.

"You all right, girlie?"

"Yes ma'am. Let's see what you can do." A normal PT evaluation can take up to 45 minutes, but since I was operating on menthol fumes, I finished in 20. Tears streamed down my face as I bid farewell until next week.

In physical therapy school, we had six months of cadaver work which didn't bother me. Some of my classmates needed Mentholatum to block the smell of formalin from the bodies, but I was lucky. I guess my luck has run out.

Anybody know where I can get some formaldehyde before Tuesday?


1 Comments:

  • I'll do one better than a visit, and make a comment. That's a good start to your story and you've caught me! I hope to have my success some do, and love to see you beat me! RayGunn lit@sasktel.net

    By Blogger Ray Gunn, at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home