Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Sunday, December 12, 2004

How the Lizzie McGuire Movie made me cry, and other confessions

First, I can cry watching previews of movies coming next summer. It's true. Maybe I have an influx of emotional hormones or have overactive tear ducts, but everytime a heartfelt scene or dramatic moment flashes across the big screen, cue the tears.

My daughter loves Lizzie McGuire/Hilary Duff for which I am totally grateful. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, and now that Lindsey Lohan are not the kind of role models I want for a 7 year old. Call me old fashioned, but I think children don't need to hear about a poison tongue slipping into a mouth or be given detailed instructions about writhing up and down a man in ecstacy.

So when we watched Lizzie McGuire, I fell into the story with my daughter. A handsome teenage boy isn't always the hero and friends are more important than a temporary fling. Even at 7, she understood the theme and moral. At the end, Lizzie faces her fear of failure and sings to an audience...and that's where I cried. Her mother beams with pride, and at that moment, I am filled with the same pride for my daughter who could one day live out every dream to the fullest.

The first movie I shared with my daughter from start to finish was "Mighty Joe Young" with Charlize Theron and Bill Paxton. We sat in the floor, me six months pregnant with a 2 year old in my lap, and when that gorilla fell from the ferris wheel, we clung to each other.
"He can't die, Momma." She whimpered.
"I know, honey. Don't die, Joe!" I yelled at the TV with tears streaming down my face.

I also cried at "Honey I shrunk the kids" when the ant died. And "Toy Story". And "Finding Nemo". Yes, at "Ice Age", too, but who didn't when the saber tooth tiger died?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home