Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Tiny Voices in my head

They start as whispers. Maybe it's a large woman arguing with the cashier about an expired coupon, or a black single mother dragging her twins down an aisle in WalMart, but I hear their stories in my head. The elderly woman living on a large inheritance can't shop without coupons no matter if her bank account is infinite. She's the canteloupe thumper, the woman that unfolds all of the shirts at Sam's to find her size, the one demanding her senior citizen's discount at IHOP Sunday mornings. I hear her thoughts, her history, and her pain in my head so I am forced to write it down.

I smell the cheap peanut butter being served in the black woman's kitchen. Her TV blares in the sparse living room which doubles as her bedroom after the twins are asleep in the only bedroom. Even if I didn't want to, I am compelled to document her struggle to succeed against the obstacles she created after quitting high school.

For those writers out there (and that's every blogger whether you like it or not) I pose this question. Do you hear voices? Do you think about what you are going to write/blog during the middles of the day? I hope I'm not alone.

Please tell me I'm not certifiable. Partially insane I'll take, but not certifiable.

1 Comments:

  • I'm constantly living life (except for the times when I'm dead) and thinking about how I could write up this and that.

    The voices I hear in my head are unrelated to writing. They tell me to stab people who are standing in checkout lines and causing problems.

    By Blogger Phil, at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home