Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Thursday, January 06, 2005

What is funny to you?

I love to laugh. Not just the 3 second guffaw, either. I mean fall in the floor with tears streaming down my face kind of laughter. It's been a while since something tickled me to that point, though.
Here are a few things on TV that crack me up - see if you agree.

Reno 911!: Possibly the most hilarious sitcom Comedy Central has ever produced. What I would give to be a guest hooker on that show...well, let's just say I won't stray from my vows but I could stretch them for that opportunity. If anyone knows someone to make this dream come true, let me know.

Arrested Development: The new Seinfeld without the laughtrack. The characters in this fantastic sitcom can't be described in a few words. When you have a magician wannabe brother named Gob, that should give you a small taste of dysfunction the Bluth family lives with every day. The mother is constantly berating her only daughter about weight, the daughter is in hot pursuit to cheat on her husband with anyone, and her husband is a stand-in for the Blue Men. You can't get much funnier than that, but they do. Buster's inferiority and neurotic behavior reminds me of cousins I wish I could forget. Sunday nights have Sopranos for drama and the Bluths for comedy.

Everybody Loves Raymond: I know, it's a dinosaur but if you are married with children, the storylines couldn't be more realistic. Who can't laugh at Marie Barone ridiculing Debra's cooking in such a loving way? Or the sibling rivalry between Raymond and Robert? As the oldest child in a family of four, I can completely empathize with Robert's jealousy. It's the last year for this classic comedy so if you haven't checked it out, time is running short. Sure, you can watch the re-runs, but that's like buying clothes from the consignment shop. It may be 'new' to you, but it's still be worn before.

What makes you laugh? Have I missed an obvious gem? Let me know. I am working on my Top Ten list of Movies but since I am such a movie dork, I'm having a hard time limiting myself to ten.

2 Comments:

  • If you're not watching "Monk", you're not watching funny.

    It's one of the best, most original comedy/mystery shows to come along in a long time.

    It's especially wonderful if you happen to be a little obsessive compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, compulsive, etc.

    Season 1 is out on DVD and season 2 will be out next Tuesday.

    Here's a link to the show's website:

    http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/

    Not only will "Monk" cause tears of laughter, you'll wet your pants.

    I recently checked out "Arrested Development" from the library and have enjoyed it. I find Some of the sexual humor a little replusive, but other than that, it's a well-done show.

    By Blogger Phil, at 10:20 AM  

  • I love Blue Collar Comedy TV. I wish there was a Blue Comedy TV channel that played 24 hours everyday, but then I'd never leave my couch.

    By Blogger Laura, at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home