Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

What's your tattoo?

Today, there must have been the phrase "PISS ME OFF" temporarily tattooed on my forehead for all to see.

Yesterday it read "TELL ME YOUR PROBLEMS".

The day before was "CRITIQUE MY BODY'.

I've always been told I have that kind of face that just asks for more information, more details than are necessary. For example, while standing in line to pay for gas, a woman confessed her hatred for her current husband, love for her former husband, and a deep suspicion of her step son's sexuality. Uh, okay, I'm just filling my tank up but good luck with all of that.


Then there's the sweet little old lady (LOL in the medical world, not laughing out loud) or man that takes delight in criticizing the size and shape of my buttocks. It takes a shrewd mind to somehow work into a conversation about stroke recovery the fact that my rear is larger than it needs to be or that I should push away from the table a little sooner, missy. Thanks. The funny thing is I'm not that big, at least I don't think so. Sure, I'm not in single digit sized clothing, but I'm a mother of two, 5'9", and over thirty, so give me a break.*

But what takes the cake today is being verbally assaulted by a patient while trying to help him stand up. Most of the time, I ignore the bad behavior but today it was just more than I could bear. Don't cuss me like a sailor because you are a stubborn old coot. Before you ask, he knew what he was saying the entire time. It's so convenient to blame dementia or another cognitive disorder when an older person is inappropriate, but sometimes it's just another person being a jackass. There's not a medication for that yet but you can be sure that I will be the first to recommend patients for any trial studies in our area.

I know I'm not the only person with temporary tattoos on the forehead. Now it's your turn: what does yours say?

* Don't you love how I use my children, age, and height as an excuse for not staying in shape? I have a talent for this sort of thing.



2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home