Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The career that just screams TISH....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com While on my first maternity leave, I discovered my true calling in life.

No, it wasn't turning pro in the competitive breastfeeding circuit, although I did try, believe you me.

It wasn't becoming a full time Neilson TV rater, much to my chagrin.

For years, I had heard about the home shopping networks, but never had the opportunity to fully appreciate their contribution to society. After six hours of close scrutiny, it came to me like a lightening bolt in the middle of an Oklahoma thunderstorm.

I WAS MADE FOR QVC!!!

Now, before you scoff (that should have made the favorite word list!) at me, look at the Tish facts.
  • I come from a retail family. It's in the blood.
  • Remember the greeting card companies that advertised extra money in the back of the comic books? I SOLD THEM FOR THREE YEARS. And that's how I discovered I didn't want to be a junior detective kit OR a chemist. That's another story.
  • Talking to people is like breathing for me. I don't need a subject, a purpose, or a theme. Hell, I don't even need an English speaking person. Just give me eye contact and WHAMMO, I will chat it up.
  • Public speaking for some is one step away from a root canal - for me, it's a day at the park. I love it, making people laugh at me or with me, it doesn't matter. And soapboxes fit well under my size 8 1/2 shoes.

Maybe I should start a petition or something. I think it would interest viewers if a real woman hawked the workout equipment, chatted with the callers, and flirted with the bisexual models demonstrating the goods. And computers? PLEASE! I would have story after story about computers, good and bad, as well as snarky comments about what you could do with a digital camera. Scrapbooking? Being a lefty, this would open QVC's door to so many non artsy-fartsy people. By watching me struggle with cutting a straight line, correctly use a template, and misalign a picture would increase sales by at least 200%.

Jewelry is the only area QVC wouldn't want me. It's a conflict of interest for me AND I can't go against the family. Not quite the mafia, but my father does have one eye, so you go figure it out.

If anyone has a direct or indirect line to the QVC people, drop my name. Maybe we could co-host together and discuss blogging while selling denim applique shirts and matching sarongs. It could happen.

1 Comments:

  • Just under a year ago, I used to work at the QVC studios in London (UK) as a Copywriter. I think pehaps you could have enjoyed a glowing career there, demostrating Tony Little's home fitness contraptions.

    On another note, I see that you are a fan of Eskimo Joe's bar on the OSU campus. "It's a small world after all"...my mum studied in Stillwater and that's where she met my dad back in the 70s. They both moved to London after marriage and the rest is history. If you get the chance Tisha, check out my blog: http://the-drum.blogspot.com

    All the best for you and yours in Texas...

    By Blogger Russell Norris, at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home