Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Jealous of a his dimpled mistress

Seven and a half years ago, my hubby discovered the world of golf.

Our daughter was also born seven and a half years ago - a coincidence? I think not.

For years I hated, I mean LOATHED, the game of golf. Just the sight of a golf ball or a putter would boil my blood.

And then, something happened that changed my mind. For a month, he didn't play. Didn't swing a club, didn't read the Golf Digest, nothing.

He drove me insane. Insane like "I want to bonk your head open with a skillet" crazy, you hear me? Having two kids follow me around is enough, add a bored husband and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I realized that I enjoyed my Saturdays without him. I realized that as much as I wanted him around, I didn't want him around THAT MUCH.

When he golfs, his mood is better with the children, with me, with life in general. Even if he plays like crap, he's better than if he didn't go.

So now I don't hate her, the dimpled mistress. She isn't a threat anymore. I have befriended her. The kids even like her. How many mistresses can say they are WELCOME in a marriage? Not many, I would bet. There are still moments when I have to tell her no, you can't have him today, but that's because of family obligations. Most of the time, I encourage him to spend time with her. And in turn, he encourages me to write and blog.

Golf will be an intrical part of our life for the next thirty years. While I won't play (being lefthanded and a superclutz), I can see me driving the cart and drinking a wine cooler, maybe reading a book while he looks for his ball. That's not a bad life.

8 Comments:

  • Hi! Thanks for visiting me. I can;t stay in the internet long for reasons clear on my blog today. But I will keep reading in the next couple of day!:)

    By Blogger mrsmogul, at 12:46 PM  

  • Thanks for blogging Tish! I know I can always count on you for a chuckle even when I am having a bad day. Also thanks for commenting on my blog...I really didn't think anyone else other than Jacq read it. :) Keep writing because I'll be reading.

    By Blogger Nickle Annie, at 1:19 PM  

  • OK, yes, I understand why you linked to me -- I had to come visit you! This morning my boyfriend left, without notice, to play golf. I was bummed, it is Sunday, and I wanted to spend the day together. It made me feel really irritated. But now that he is gone, I feel better, quieter, calmer. Guess what I'm doing? Going to get a massage! Golf.... the damn bitch.

    By Blogger Roni, at 1:52 PM  

  • we all need something, right? something to do that is just for us. moms always forget to have their something though. that's where the problems arise.

    By Anonymous honestyrain, at 3:48 PM  

  • Ladies, that mistress makes us appreciate you all the more.

    By Blogger Bunker, at 3:59 PM  

  • Tish,
    I don't play golf , but I have other "mistresses" that occupy my time. I know that my wife is quite please when I am off with them. It make me less nuts the rest of the week.... and that's a good thing ...

    PS - How can I send you my Emai without posting it here for the world to see...

    By Blogger Dumb Poet, at 6:39 PM  

  • Greetings from Austin. First time reader and how appropriate. I like golf as well, but do not get to play often. Yes it is mostly a male bonding thing - good clean honest fun. Beats the heck out of bars. And the time away from the spouse is good for both - there can be too much time together.

    Thanks for stopping by my laments.

    By Blogger David, at 9:18 AM  

  • What are you going to do if he wants a three-some?

    By Blogger Phil, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home