Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Sunday, March 27, 2005

What a difference a minute can make

I measure my life in time. Time spent in school, time spent dating, time spent engaged, and now, time spent married with children. What never ceases to amaze me is how everything in my life would be different if only I was one minute early or late. How many of us can say that? Everyone has a story that starts "It was meant to be..." but do we really appreciate the 'what might not have beens' in our lives? Can you track where the synchronicity began?
Joe Cool Cowboy got me thinking about this idea and I've come up with my own 'sync' time line.

If we hadn't moved to Oklahoma in 1982, I would have never gone to OSU.
If I wasn't at OSU for a Senior day in 1986, I would have never met Tommy, my 'first' love.
If my uncle hadn't had a stroke, I would have never become a physical therapist.
If I hadn't gone to PT school, I would have never moved to Tulsa.
If I hadn't moved to Tulsa, I wouldn't have learned what I didn't want in a mate.
If I hadn't called Tom one spring day in 1994 and visited, I wouldn't have been able to order Eagles tickets for the Hell Freezes Over tour.
If I hadn't invited my best friend Brendingo, my father would have gone and I wouldn't have had the chance to 'troll' the place.
If I hadn't trolled the place, I wouldn't have spotted a tall drink of water and been challenged to speak to him (actually the bet was to get his name and kiss him, that's another blog for another time).
If I hadn't introduced myself to him, I wouldn't have met my future husband.
If I hadn't met my husband, I wouldn't have had children.

Do you see how life depends on delicate, invisible threads considered 'chance'? If you are like me, you know that it isn't chance that directs our path, but a loving God that endures our poor choices and stubborn nature in order to guide us into what we are meant to be. Granted, I don't see God giving the thumbs up to my wearing a swimsuit and daisy duke shorts to the Eagles concert, but that's the creative license we human beings take in the drama of our lives.

What I find ironic is my first love basically introduced me to my soulmate. Two minutes late and he would have already ordered the tickets and I would be a PT somewhere, anywhere, unmarried without children. How do I know this? It's a certainty I feel in my bones, that's how.

And I'm so blessed and lucky that the dominoes of my life fell just right so I could be here, right now, blogging, writing my stories, hugging my children, and loving my husband.

7 Comments:

  • very nice.

    By Blogger I.M. Dedd, at 8:02 PM  

  • That made me think. With everything I've gone through, I'm sure I wouldn't have met the man of my dreams. Unfortunately, I have to divorce the man I've been married to for 12 years now so that I can spend the rest of my life with the man I love.

    Life's funny eh?

    Also, thank you Tish, for your comments on my blog. They mean alot. You're talented and I am honored to hear these things come from you.

    Regards,

    By Blogger Allison, at 8:52 PM  

  • Wonderful post. We are all very fortunate indeed to be among the living. And to recognize that if many events had not occurred, even the unfortunate ones, our lives would be very different. To recognize and to write about this is to have one of life's great treasures: gratefulness.

    By Blogger DiscerningTexan, at 11:40 PM  

  • If I hadn't signed up for all these traffic exchanges I would never have stumbled upon Tish's blog and that would definately have been a bad thing. Thanks Tish!

    By Blogger The Ugly American, at 8:40 AM  

  • Tisha, this is one of the best blurbs. You would have met him anyway. My mom and the greatest stepdad in the world (IMO) grew up ten miles from each other, traveled to different states, had different lives, married other people, had nine other kids with other spouses, and finally met when he was 41 and she was 37. Their lives had been lived many times within ten miles of each other and they had mutual friends. My little sister was born when my mother was 41.
    When God makes a choice, we get it eventually. So glad you got yours early. I have little doubt though, that it would have happened eventually.

    By Blogger Monica, at 10:15 AM  

  • Nice! If you hadn't surfed your way over to my blog I may never had discovered such a wonderful writer! Great blog!

    By Blogger Chaotic Serenity, at 12:50 PM  

  • it's soo true. there are so many moments in life that make you think that one split second could change your entire life's outcome.

    it's actually kind of freaky.

    By Blogger Ali, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home