Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Thursday, April 21, 2005

I'll take two at that price!!

I don’t pretend to be a fashionista.

During the week, I can be found in multicolored scrubs from 8-3. In the afternoon and weekends, it’s usually blue jeans and a comfy t-shirt. If I want to scorch the retinas of other mall shoppers, then I break out a pair of shorts. Rarely do I dress up and even then it is something worth alerting the media if I am seen publicly in a dress. Questions surface about what funeral I am attending or if I am appearing in court for some unknown reason (still hasn’t happened YET).

For my summer wardrobe, I’ll probably invest a whopping $100-150 smackaroonies for some new shorts, a couple shirts, maybe a skirt or two, and if I feel sassy, some sandals. Close toed sandals, of course. Who wants to see ugly feet in daylight?
BUT today, I learned that my wardrobe is beyond cheap.
While waiting on a patient to finish her ‘personal’ business, I watched the fantastically annoying Liz Hurley unveil her new beachwear. Rail thin models with outie belly buttons paraded around in Liz’s vision of what bikinis should be: strings with semi-precious gemstones dangling at the hips.
When asked about her new designs, she shared some priceless insights:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

“My bikinis can be purchased separately for those that don’t want to show their bottoms.”
GEE THANKS FOR THAT, LIZ.

“You can go straight from the beach to the clubs with this combination.”
DO THEY HAVE A PLAYGROUND FOR THE KIDS?

“My beaded shirt is just fabulous. It runs around $400 but all the work by hand. Quite affordable, don’t you think?”
$400! FOR A BEADED SHIRT? ARE YOU HIGH, LIZ?


Call me crazy, but fashion designers have no clue to reality. Who really wears something that costs as much as a car payment? Or rent? And who thinks that red and hot pink really matches? I may be a total nerd, but even I know that stripes and plaids are a tacky combination. I’d like to see Oprah or the Today Show feature NORMAL clothing at NORMAL prices. Not $400 throwaway shirts or swimsuits, not $300 capri pants or tank tops, NORMAL prices. Think Target to Dillards on sale. That’s what most of the American public can and will pay. We all aren’t Paris Hilton, you know?
What can I say? I still like high water pants.
By the way, the tank top she is wearing: $90.

6 Comments:

  • You know, I think it's Allure Magazine, might be another - but anyway, what they've started doing is showing one of those ridiculous high fashion togs with the price, and then showing a similar one that's on sale at Target, TJ Maxx, Dillards, something like that. That makes a bit on sense.

    Those clothes are ridiculous. There is no way I'd pay $80 for a tank top. It's absurd.

    But apparently someone's buying them.

    You know what's killing me right now - I'm seeing slews of teen-age girls carrying around those Dooney & Burke purses that are made for them, with the hearts and such? Those things are still $200 - $300. Who the heck is buying their kid's these purses!

    I have three designer purses, never got them until I was in my 30s and you know what - they're all second hand! (Love Ebay).

    By Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew", at 7:20 AM  

  • Geeeez, once in a while, I can manage to buy high-priced clothes for quality but that much???? No way!

    I can buy alot already with that amount...

    Sigh~ her designs were intended for the rich only..

    By Blogger "J", at 7:32 AM  

  • How much are the macaroni ear rings? ‘cause I remember how to make them – and I’m taking orders! $255 sounds exciting!!

    By Blogger void, at 9:44 AM  

  • "outtie belly buttons" EEEEUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!

    By Blogger festinog, at 9:46 AM  

  • What's sick is not that they make clothes at those outrageous prices, but that some people think they are affordable. "Some people" are totally out of touch with reality!

    By Blogger TrueJerseyGirl, at 12:16 PM  

  • Now, now. These people have the mentality of junior-high kids. If it didn't cost $400, how would they know it was any good? And if housewives in flyover country could buy the same shirt, how would anyone know that *they* were better than that?
    Target shoppers are not the target market here. She is selling to insecure social climbers with more money than the average suburbanite, but less cachet than actual celebrities (who I'd guess wouldn't be caught dead in a Liz Hurley-designed anything).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home