Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

My cup runneth over

When I started blogging, I had selfish reasons. To build a fan base, my agent said. For exposure, he said. To catch the eye of an interested publisher, he repeated.

So I began this little blog but I didn't realize who I would meet along the way. What started as a PR tool has become a circle of friends, a net to catch me when I fall.

Thanks to all of you who have commented and emailed me in the last two days. It was a sad funeral, one that I hope never repeats itself in my lifetime. The only funny thing that happened, which as you know I try to find humor in EVERYTHING, was the woman who sat behind me. Either she read the bottle wrong or the stopper fell out because that body spray had a four foot radius and could disinfect three surgical suites. During the musical portion of the funeral, she tapped me on the shoulder.

"Could you move to the right, please? I can't see."

See what? The casket was closed, the song was instrumental, and the piano was on the far side of the stage. Of course, I moved but then I heard her mumble to her 75 year old friend:

"I can't see past that hair of hers."

Now this is where my friend Laurie is laughing at me from Heaven. My hair wasn't big, especially by Texas standards, just a simple french twist. I smoothed it down after hearing this comment, which only elicited this:

"She could comb it out and it still wouldn't do any good."

It never fails, the cranky retired English teachers will always find me.

The Powells felt your prayers and thoughts today as did I. Laurie will not be forgotten, her children will continue to learn of their mother's wonderful faith and love for them, and her husband will be surrounded by friends for the lonely times ahead.

Because my cup runneth over with friends, I can help them and us with the healing that has to begin. Thanks to all of you.

4 Comments:

  • Sorry I missed your blog this weekend Tish. Really sorry for your loss. It's always tough when we lose a friend...Hey...maybe this will help....my punk little brothers girlfriend had a baby boy today! he should be sursed with daughters like me...but he keeps getting lucky.

    Smile lady and keep us smiling too.

    By Blogger The Ugly American, at 11:11 AM  

  • i'm so sorry for your loss - i know it sounds trite, but i truly am.

    every day i can count on you to make me laugh...but today you've made me cry.

    By Blogger Ali, at 12:34 PM  

  • You can never get too much of a good thing, I have found. Keep being strong for your friends, then they return the favor. Hang in there...

    By Blogger DiscerningTexan, at 8:49 PM  

  • I'm behind on my blog reading and I just saw this, but I am so ossry to hear of the death of your friend. My thoughts and prayers are truly with her family and friends.

    By Anonymous Busy Mom, at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home