Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Friday, June 03, 2005

Rainbows aren't just vacuums anymore

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so when I heard about rainbow parties, I thought it was just another girls' night out to check out the overpriced vacuum system sold throughout the nation.

Boy was I wrong.

There are many ways to look at this problem, if you are one of the millions of people that see it as a problem. Believe it or not, there are always those individuals (most of whom are not parents) that have no problem with preteens engaging in oral sex. Their rationale stems from Bill Clinton's logic: It's not really sex. Since I literally live across the street from the state of Arkansas, I have heard countless die hard Clinton fans defend his rationale...until this 'rainbow party' scandal broke. Then it was groans and mumblings of "not my daughter" and "How in the hell can kids not think it's sex?" Funny how Daddy's face freezes when he is reminded that Slick Willie is the father of this movement.

For the rest of us, the struggle is to not just educate on the risks but overcome a national complacency towards younger sexual freedom. It's easy to tell Sally what may happen physically to her if she continues performing oral sex with multiple partners, BUT can you look your daughter in the face and with all honesty explain how her dignity, self-worth, and moral code will be demolished forever if she participates?

Many of us are standing on a tightwire as we juggle protecting the innocence of our children and the bombarding reality of a hypersexualized media. Generations before us had a net of security, the religious foundations that our country fought for and a standard moral code. We are not so lucky.

4 Comments:

  • I have two teenage sons. I can relate all too well...

    By Blogger voixdange, at 11:01 AM  

  • Tish, as a former teacher, all I can tell you is that you have NO idea how bad it really is in American public schools. Anyone who has any brains at all, or even if you don’t have brains but you really love your children, get your children out of the public schools as soon as you can. For every positive step you take forward with your children at home, take three steps backward from their DAILY experience at school.

    Middle school children are getting pregnant, folks. And as Tish so ably pointed out, the mind-set among MOST children is that “oral sex” isn’t really sex. And if it is, doesn’t it really depend on what the definition of the word is, is?

    Last year, I taught freshmen and juniors. The sister was a freshman, the brother was one of my juniors. And it came to my attention by another student that one week end, the freshman was “indoctrinated” at an orgy where her brother was a participant. Feeling ill, I took this “rumor” to my supervising principal, who said “Neat. Did you get invited?”

    So if any readers out there think that your local educators really give a tinker’s damn about your kids, you are in a serious state of delusion. And If anyone wants to know the way I REALLY feel about this, drop over for my discussion about truth (http://socialsense.blogspot.com/2005/05/truth-diminishing-attribute.html).

    Tish, I’m going to have another post about public education at Social Sense in a day or so; I hope you’ll stop by and give me your thoughts.

    Semper fi . . .

    By Blogger Mustang, at 5:53 PM  

  • When I was in my mid-20's, I ended up in the emergency room with an extremely bad case of tonsilitis. One of the male nurses or interns (whatever he was), came into my little curtained off area and suggested that maybe I had an STD...from oral sex. If I could somehow describe the embarrassment and shame I felt at that moment, not to mention the fear (my mother was in the waiting room) I would write it down and keep it for my daughter to read when she is older. It's like knowing that smoking can cause heart attacks but continuing to smoke - you can't really understand the consequences until you experience them.

    By Blogger Kath, at 8:50 AM  

  • I don't have children and have never heard of a Rainbow Party until this post.

    But I freak out everytime I think of my future offspring (or my baby niece or little cousins) growing up in this ubersexualized climate.

    I mean, I experienced my "first kiss" at thirteen. I can't imagine 12-year-olds performing sex acts - though I know that's what is happening.

    It makes me very sad.

    By Anonymous Mala, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home