Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Sunday, July 24, 2005

10,080 precious minutes and counting

At this moment eight years ago, I was screaming at two nurses while in labor. Let me rephrase that, cussing at two nurses during what felt like a revival of "Alien". Before anyone calls me a nurse basher, they were discussing lunch menus while I was waiting for my pain meds, unable to eat or drink. I'd say they earned that cussing.

Eight years later, I find myself free of both children for a week, and surprisingly, in another situation where my anger rises at someone's incompetency. Here's the Tish Tip of the Week: When in Best Buy for an exchange, always seek the youngest person to do the exchange. No offense to anyone over 50, but these kids that have played with a computer mouse before taking their first step will always have the edge over the generation that remembers when Texas Instruments calculators were all the rage.

I find myself listening for the muffled footsteps upstairs, Drama Diva's laughter, and Casper's whining "Momma, tie my shoes." Funny, but I miss them already but I need this time. Twice a year I am blessed with a week off from mothering. You'd think that I'd relax, but my paranoia skyrockets when the kids are out of pocket. Thoughts of not getting to them fast enough, or them needing me...it chews at me. Ten deep breaths. One long prayer. A calendar with a star on July 31st. That's how I'll get through this week without using all of my cell phone minutes.

As for this child-free week, Hubby and I have no real plans other than unbridled sex, sleeping late, and adult conversations.

The question now is: What will I do for the other six days?

10 Comments:

  • For the other 6 days.....more unbridled sex?? :-)

    By Blogger Celeste, at 8:23 PM  

  • ;) Umm. What will you do? Repeat what you did the first day!

    By Blogger Natsthename, at 10:11 PM  

  • The other six? None of our business ;)

    By Blogger Skunkfeathers, at 2:01 AM  

  • a whole week without the kids??? However did you manage that?? What's your secret??

    By Blogger scrapbookmom, at 9:22 AM  

  • Happy Birthday to your little Diva!

    When my kids aren't around, I constantly feel like I lost something, and I can't find it. The minute they are gone, I long for their return. The minute they are back, I long for another break. Motherhood, the ultimate mindf***...

    By Blogger Robin, at 10:54 AM  

  • Aww, Tish, you'll get used to the alone time. I've always been blessed with some "kids' free" time every year. (Various relatives generally whisk away my boys for wonderful, major-spoiling-type vacations.) And every year I used to make myself a nervous wreck, until the boys hit about 13 or 14, and then, suddenly, I've found myself more able to relax. They're gone quite a bit now, in the summer, for various camps and Youth Trips. And I'm finally able to enjoy this time.

    So - it gets better as they get older, somehow!

    By Anonymous Melanie Lynne Hauser, at 1:41 PM  

  • I'm sure I would worry as well, but a whole week? Woohoo! Enjoy yourselves!

    By Anonymous Toryssa, at 2:38 PM  

  • A week with no kids?!

    I haven't had a DAY without kids for 13 years...help me, someone!

    By Blogger Tammy, at 9:45 PM  

  • There is physical freedom, but those kids got your heart all wrapped up. It's amazing. Enjoy your time off... As far as the next 6 days... it sounds like you have your priorities straight!

    By Blogger jennyonthespot, at 1:20 AM  

  • I'm basking in my kid free week. Unbridled sex is out.. since I'm single. So I make do with being able to wash dishes in the nude if I feel like it. ;)

    Enjoy!

    By Blogger Red Clover, at 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home