Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Friday, July 22, 2005

Don't forget the side pockets

As I stood in the supposed 'ten items or less' line at Albertson's, I couldn't help but overhear a conversation between a yuppie couple.
"I'm not happy with this. Searching my purse? I don't even look like a terrorist." Manicured nails tapped her purchase.
"You could probably build a bomb with all the crap you have in there." His teeth gleamed blue-white, probably from overbleaching.
"Shut up! Don't you see what is happening? The government is slowly but surely diluting our civil liberties down to nothing, Dan. It's George Orwell coming true."
At this point, I pursed my lips. 'Don't say anything, Tish,' my conscience screamed, which was silenced by my internal stubborn fairy dressed in army fatigues.
"Personally, I don't mind them searching my purse. I have nothing to hide." I smiled at the flawless faced couple. "I bet there are people in London wishing they'd have searched everyone three weeks ago."
"Yes, but we don't live in a monarchy. Last time I looked, we were a democratic nation with certain inalieable rights." Her stony stare and clenched grip on her gourmet pesto sauce told me I was wasting my time.
"Tell that to the New Yorkers." Flo, the cashier, added.
Ken and Barbie exited without further comment, which was probably a good thing. Flo didn't look like someone who took a lot of guff from anyone.

Civil rights - something that Martin Luther King, Jr. fought for, something that our founding fathers guaranteed for all Americans. The key word being American. What is so hard about seeking out those intent on harming us before they succeed.
No one I know wants to be a martyr for the sake of protecting a terrorist's rights.
No one I know wants to ensure their ability to live amongst us all the while planning our destruction.
No one I know would protect an Islamic radical's right to free speech, especially when his/her speech has one purpose: Kill us. If it's against the law to holler fire in a crowded theatre, why is it less illegal to spew hatred against innocent Americans?

And make no mistake about it, there are actual innocent Americans: children playing in a park, an elderly couple holding hands, a new mother cradling her firstborn with the new father crying at the sight of family. THESE are innocent Americans. And these are who and what our soldiers protect everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan, and anywhere radical Islamic monsters dwell.

So when I am approached by a police officer for the express purpose to search my purse for any reason, I will comply without hesitation. Other than four old peppermints, sixty five receipts that mean nothing, and four notes from Drama Diva and Casper, I have nothing to hide. It's time to realize that freedom comes with a price, and that price is sometimes an unplanned purse cleaning.

10 Comments:

  • out-FLIPPIN-standing!

    It's like the signs they put in the store while they're remodeling: "Pardon our dust while we make improvements to our service to you." Kinda makes you wonder about how some people would've reacted to the true national emergency known as WWII when EVERYTHING was rationed and NOBODY seemed to mind that their civil liberties were being infringed upon for the greater good.

    By Blogger Bill, at 1:50 AM  

  • Hi ..encountered ur weblog while I was fumbling thru the random blogs here..Liked ur style of writing and ur strong views..guess world thru Tish is so much in black and white..and everything and everyone has to be put in his/her place...Thank God I am miles away from Texas..(i.e.India).. else I wud have had to think twice before walking out of my house....(it's not a home yet..u see : ) )
    Nice blog..

    By Blogger DUMPS, at 3:10 AM  

  • There are things worth fighting for. There are things worth dying for. In order to insure freedom, we must, at times re-evaluate giving up some of the very freedoms we enjoy.

    By Blogger steelcowboy, at 6:55 AM  

  • Dumps: you would have no problem walking out of your house if you lived here unless you were carrying a bomb in your backpack.:)

    By Blogger bornfool, at 8:53 AM  

  • Once again, Tish, all I can say is, EXCELLENT POST.

    By Blogger Mamacita, at 10:15 AM  

  • There will always be those, so spoiled by what we have, and so gullible to believe that if we stay away from all the 'bad guys' (who are just 'misunderstood'), that they'll 'leave us alone', who will whine and snivel at any steps taken to protect us against the 'misunderstood', bemoaning a 'loss of civil liberties'.

    I guess being suddenly blown out of existence by an Islamofascist is preferable in their spoiled worldthink.

    It's too bad the World Trade Center wasn't staffed with only such thinkers on September 11; but even the most gullible wouldn't have deserved that.

    Thus is the price of having what we have: for every person willing to give thanks by putting it all on the line for the rest of us, there'll be those in the grocery line who fuss about having their purse searched.

    By Blogger Skunkfeathers, at 10:23 AM  

  • I live in NYC and as far as I'm concerned if they want to check my purse, tis fine with me! I would much rather be SAFE.

    Nice post.

    By Blogger LisaBinDaCity, at 11:26 AM  

  • I do agree...to an extent. I will comply with it quite readily, especially for the safety of my children. But I wish they could live in the world I grew up in. Sometimes.
    It's like when they're with me...I don't pick up hitchhikers for their safety. When they aren't with me, I pick up strangers who need a ride.
    When with me, I comply at airports, etc. But alone, I want to just speak out once in awhile and say..."hey, I'm a free person, my son is fighting the war on terrorism, don't treat me like I'm a potential terrorist". So I agree with you and with Barbie...to an extent. :)

    By Blogger Monica, at 5:44 PM  

  • Awesome post!!!!! I'm glad you said something to them. Flo sounds like my kid of gal too!

    By Blogger scrapbookmom, at 7:52 PM  

  • Search me all you want--I have nothing to hide. What I DO have is numerous friends who are putting their lives on the line in the Middle East to ensure that we are safe here. As long as they're there, I'll continue to speak my mind here to all those who berate the cost of freedom. I think about it everyday, as I travel one of the most used, illegal-alien smuggling routes in Texas on the way to my new job---highway 59 in Goliad County. I think the Minutemen Project has the right idea! Tish, ya wanna join with me?! It would be a good excuse to come visit!

    By Blogger Celeste, at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home