Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Fantastic Flop

In a word, blah. Just when you think they've scraped the backside of the barrel's bottom, we are given Fantastic Four. I'm not knocking the original comic or the idea of superheroes in general but there are two hours of my life that cannot be refunded or exchanged for a much needed nap.

What Hollywood needs to film are real superheroes. Not muscle bound men or tight butted women, but the everyday unsung heroes found in fire stations, police cars, classrooms, hospitals, and nursing homes. The kind of heroes that dry tears of a broken heart or clap at the mere accomplishments of reading a word or walking across the room for the first time. Spin kicks and automatic weapons make for great drama, but cannot hold a candle to the extra time a teacher takes with a struggling student.

Don't get me wrong, I love a great movie. I love the moment the lights dim and the screen fills with colors and lives unknown to me. Every preview is savored along with the overpriced popcorn and imitation Dr. Pepper (Mr.Pibb). Tonight's previews ended up better than the movie. Who wants to pay for that? Apparently me.

12 Comments:

  • Mr Pibb? You actually drank Mr Pibb? It's bad enough they sell what they do with the label of Dr Pepper on it but to go so far as to actually drink Mr Pibb?

    Periodically I drive through Dublin Texas and on occasion I feel compelled to buy a real actual original Dublin Dr Pepper. Just because I can.

    And what's wrong with tight butted women?

    By Anonymous tommy, at 10:40 PM  

  • I know, I know. You feel cheated by the high price of a terrible movie. But just think what you gained from the companionship of your children and the value of a cool dark theatre on a hot summer afternoon.

    By Anonymous Cyn, at 11:00 PM  

  • A little lesson on movie going, before the movie-about 20 min before-stop by wal-mart. On the candy isle they have all sorts of candy and things you can stuff into your quickly-switched-out-for-hiding-candy-oversized-purse.
    Also, if the drinks seem a little pricey you can always grab a few 20 oz real Dr. Peppers to stash in that big ol' purse that you use for the movies.
    It may sound silly but, it saves money. The last movie I went to I spent about $9 and that is because I stashed stuff in my purse and my daughter wanted candy from the cinema. When she grows up and we go to the movies and she pays with her money I am going to make sure I at least by 2 things from the cinema everytime we go to pay her back, the lil brat lol

    By Blogger lillielaw, at 7:16 AM  

  • Since so much of what's emerging from Libbywood these days is eye cockleburrs, I haven't planted my sitdown part in a theater seat in longer than I can recall.

    Maybe if a local theatre reruns Team America: World Police ;)

    By Blogger Skunkfeathers, at 8:50 AM  

  • What's wrong with tight butted women???

    By Blogger The Ugly American, at 10:23 AM  

  • There is nothing worse than paying for a really bad movie -- and then having to sit through it.

    By Blogger FTS, at 10:25 AM  

  • I put a sticker on your blog today. It's a warm rose color, with wide wine-colored font that says, "You deserve a hug!"

    By Blogger Paul, at 11:29 AM  

  • The movie has been getting panned by everyone. A whole lot of hype, not a lot of substance. My daughter saw it. Teens like all movies...particularly if they see it as part of a DATE! (Whoo whoo!) So if she didn't care for it, it must have been pretty darn worthless. (Saved me the $10-$12!)

    By Blogger WordWhiz, at 9:46 PM  

  • Well, I'm glad I read your opinion before forking over the money to see the movie. I'll wait for the DVD.

    By Blogger Robin, at 8:29 PM  

  • here I am sweetie! agree agree, agree. tired of seeing those men (and women) in tights

    By Blogger karma, at 9:18 PM  

  • i actually liked it - but would only say to make sure you give F4-2 a chance when it comes out. seems like the first one sets up all the characters, and the second one gets with the story and action quicker - like spider-man2, xmen2, etc. don't write it all of yet :)

    By Blogger Rick, at 7:46 AM  

  • I bet it wasn't as good as Yu-Gi-Oh!

    I'm just sayin'

    By Blogger Silly Old Bear, at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home