Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Monday, July 18, 2005

Gritting my teeth, needing a Valiumed Dr. Pepper

Asking questions in normal situations is rarely difficult. Directions, movie reviews, even dinner choices BUT try asking common sense questions to any health care professional in a hospital setting, and you might as well be asking when Paris Hilton will gain weight.

As a health care professional myself, I try to explain not just what we are doing, but why as well. Granted, there are new HIPPA laws protecting personal and private information, but answering one simple question isn't going to break confidentiality.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO TREAT THE PROBLEM?

Our trip to Little Rock was, how do I say it?- less than forthcoming about my MIL's status. While I have the utmost respect for most nurses and physicians, there are some in the health care field that must have missed their daily dosage of compassion.
Last time I looked in the mirror, my forehead wasn't sloped nor have I suffered a head injury rendering me ignorant. My clothes matched, I had no foul odor eminating from my person, and believe it or not, I had a decent hair day.
So when I ask a simple question, body language appropriate for a TEN YEAR OLD incites me. Using one syllable words as if I couldn't understand anything over six letters infuriates me. If this wasn't enough, sighing at my follow-up question was pouring gas on a lit fire.
As luck would have it, my children accompanied us on this trip, and because of their presence, evil Tish growled under the surface. Think "Hulk" in the mirror, lurking behind a civil demeanor. I merely gritted my teeth, repeated my first question, follow-up question, and stood in the way. Nurses have the hardest job, I know that. There is no person in the hospital that knows a patient better than the LVN and RN for that floor. The physician sees the patient less than four minutes so the nurse is the best resource for specific information and answers.
In the end, I was told that more tests are needed to identify her problem. Easy answer, I know, but probably the truest thing she could say. There are few things harder than witnessing your children cry at bedside of their beloved grandmother. I try to be so strong for them and for my husband, but it comes out as aggressive bitchery. It's easier to be a bitch when things are tense than it is to lose control.
And control is what we all seek, right?
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts. I hope and pray that this time next week I'll be able to inform you of her recovery. Please continue to visit An American Housewife as she needs all the prayers she can get.

8 Comments:

  • I'm 27 years old, and I can't remember the last time I sensed an element of compassion from a healthcare professional. Thats not to say it wasn't there, but I'm a big fan of hollistics, nonetheless.

    By Anonymous michael, at 11:08 PM  

  • I'm sorry you're getting the runaround (and surprised that you get that treatment even when they know you're a fellow health care professional). I'd come off as an agressive bitch in that situation, too.

    By Blogger Donna, at 9:36 AM  

  • Stick with it, Tish. Show em not to MESS WITH TEXAS!
    (And I'm not a fan of many health care professionals, too. Had some less than nice exchanges during my MIL's long hospital stays.)

    By Blogger Natsthename, at 9:59 AM  

  • Not exactly the same thing, (and in no way am I comparing your mother in law to a dog,) but coincidentally I spent many hours at the emergency vet on sunday. They treated me like I was an idiot. Here I was upset about my very sick dog and they were patronizing the crap out of me. And they were NOT compassionate.

    When are they going to start teaching compassion courses at medical, (and vet,) schools? Perhaps these docs need a "mock" situation where they are at the other end of the spectrum and some uncaring doctor treats them like dirt? For some odd reason many of "professionals" can't seem to remember they are dealing with human beings during horribly scary times in their lives.

    Wishing you and your family all the best!!!

    By Blogger LisaBinDaCity, at 11:35 AM  

  • You have my best wishes, whatever the outcome.

    By Blogger Skunkfeathers, at 12:16 PM  

  • I hate urses...but after my last rehab clinic stay...i learned how to deal with´em

    By Blogger Ian-Ivy du Bois, at 11:59 PM  

  • Oh sweetie, I am sorry to hear things are rough there. Hugs and prayers for all.
    Love ya, keep smilin'

    By Anonymous joe cool cowboy poet, at 2:24 PM  

  • I hear ya. Sometimes it's easier to be someone who doesn't know better rather than a provider who knows the ropes. Hope you get the answers you're seeking.

    By Blogger poopie, at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home