Welcome to my world - The world of Tish

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Boy did I pick the wrong day to quit...

Day Two in Hell
The world as a whole is against me.
Maybe it's my imagination, but was today "National Drink Dr Pepper Day"? At least fifty people imbibed the sugary concoction in front of me without any semblence of shame. Three women standing in line to pay the standard Texaco $100 gastank charge bragged about the perfect ratio between carbonation and syrup, as if I needed to hear that! A group of teenagers poured theirs out in a covert attempt to drive me insane BUT I remained strong. When a former patient of three years ago dropped by to say thanks, she held in her hand a cold Dr Pepper. Even though I nodded during the conversation, the faint sound of Dr Pepper himself whispered into my left ear, his hot breath tickled my neck:

"It looks delicious, no? You vant it, do you not? Vie not take a leetle sip? It von't hurt you, my precious leetle gerl."

For those that Dance with the Devil by the Pale Moonlight (AKA Diet Dr Pepper Drinkers), I have tried that route many times. Whoever says it tastes like the real thing also substitutes tuna for lobster. As for the caffeine free version, that's like kissing your brother on prom night. Same action, no passion.

Only 24 hours left, and I will have lasted the dreaded three day dry-out phase.

It is three days, right? The worst is over in three days, RIGHT?!

ARGHH!

6 Comments:

  • Wow! 3 Days??? Go girl! My DH is a certified DP Addict, and I KNOW how hard it is to get him off the juice. Be strong! You can do it! And I agree.. the Diet stuff ain't the same a'tall. My advice if you're switching to a Diet drink is to head for something that is nothing at all like DP. The new flavored 7-ups sound interesting. I may try them myself.. they have juice (cherry is one and pineapple another that I know of) and are flavored with Splenda. I'm leaning toward trying that trick on DH too... hopefully after I try this experiment, I won't pull back a stump for a hand. Hmmm... good luck from "Lefty"

    By Blogger Leslie, at 2:14 AM  

  • In a previous life (or so it seems), as a corporate cog in a Fortune 500 capitalist monolith (that line should give a woody to any liberals reading this hyar), I had dealings with a then-expert on substance abuse in the work place (identifying, etc). What he said then is as true today for about any addiction: Even when you 'quit', you're one lapse away from reacquiring the addiction. He also said in the game of 'kicking the habit', you face challenges at 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months. Clear that, and you find YOU CAN.

    The insidious tentacles of the Dr. Pepper giant squid seek to undermine your resolve, by coming at you from many different fronts and in many guises.

    Strength, Tish. Remember the goal.
    Remember the Alamo. Remember whatever it takes.

    This comment is not paid for by the Friends of Mr. Pibb Consortium, who say phfffft to Dr. Pepper, and anyone who practices medicine like him...

    By Blogger Skunkfeathers, at 3:23 AM  

  • Hi! I found your journal through Romancing the Blog, and I'm not only a fellow writer, I'm a fellow Dr. Pepper addict. All my friends called me "Mrs. Pepper" because I drank it every day, and it was my true love, my turtledove, my one and only. Then I realized how much weight I'd gained and decided that Dr. Pepper and I needed a trial separation.

    That was in March. Now, many months later, I haven't drunk a single full bottle/can since April, and I've been completely cold turkey since May. I haven't even had a sip, and let me tell you, despite the pain of not being with my beloved Dr. Pepper, it's been worth it. It's possible to survive. Just hold on! (And I can't disagree in the least about diet soda. Diet Dr. Pepper is the evil and doesn't taste ANYTHING like the blessedly real thing.)

    By Blogger Bethany, at 12:33 PM  

  • "that's like kissing your brother on prom night. Same action, no passion."

    That cracked me up! I hope my little brain can remember that one.

    By Blogger J, at 1:05 PM  

  • UHHHHHHH NO..THE THING IS WAITING TILL 3RD WEEK...

    By Blogger Ian-Ivy du Bois, at 6:45 AM  

  • 3 days? 3 weeks? I heard that one! 21 days to make a habit, 28 to break it! Doesn't that add up to 4 weeks?
    Anyway, I am sitting here with my beloved at my side and I am already dreaming of 3 hours from now when I will open up to him again. I am savoring the flavor. I agree with you whole heartedly about the diet thing, they make the stuff, so how can they claim it tastes the same? Easy!
    Their taste buds have been destroyed all the years of living dangerously with DP. I am really wanting to quit but at this time in my life, I really need the relationship. If not with DP, I might go even further and really despise myself by meeting with Mister P. Oh my gosh, did I really say that out loud?
    Have a great one! God Bless
    I absolutely love your blog and will be back. I bookmarked it. I just wrote that so I could feel as though I were getting even with all the blammers out there. (my new word for blog spammers) feel free to use it anytime. I think it's quite catchy! lol

    By Blogger praynlady, at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home